I’ve written an article about cute & funny names for cacti, and while I have to admit, those are absolutely my all-time favourites in terms of giving “pet” names to plants, it doesn’t seem fair to go without giving at least some of the stunning succulents out there their “day in the sun” with a name recommendation or two.
There are plenty of fun, cute, & punny names out there for cacti that revolve around their sharpness, and if you’ve got a sharp succulent, like an aloe with spines, you may want to re-appropriate some of those hilarious cactus names.
That being said, most succulents aren’t particularly sharp, so you’re going to need another route to grabbing a name if you’re here to name a crassula or an echeveria. I’ve managed to think up a few ways you could go – from naming by colour to alliteration.
Let me know in the comments below if you can think of more, and if you’ve ever named a succulent or wanted to, what types of names strike your fancy.
Cute & Funny Succulent Name Suggestions
Funny Succulent Names Based on Pop Culture
- Smeagol (for gollum jade plant)
- Babar (for elephant bush plant)
- Jesus (for crown of thorns succulent)
- Donkey (for burro’s tail succulent)
- Katy Perry (for flaming katy kalanchoe)
- Jennifer-Lynn Hayden (for jade plant)
- World Wildlife Fund/WWF (for panda plant kalanchoe)
- Reputation (for snake plant)
- Snakes on a Plane (for snake plant)
- Marty (for zebra plant haworthia)
- Moby Dick (for whale’s tongue agave)
Ironic Succulent Names After Other Plants
Cute Succulent Names Based on Alliteration
- Sarah the Succulent
- Eve the Echeveria
- Joe the Jade Plant
- Alex the Aloe
- Heathcliff the Haworthia
- Randy the Rhipsalis
- Samuel the Sedum
- Amelia the Aeonium
- Kaity the Kalanchoe
- Simon the Spider Plant
- Agatha the Agave
- Cyrus the Crassula
Succulent Names Based on Shape
- Bubbles (for jelly bean sedum)
- Rose (for flower-like aeoniums or echeveria)
- Pebbles (for some sedum)
Succulent Names Based on Patterns or Stress Patterns
Amusing Titles for Succulents
- The Unwatered
- The Green One
- Succulent The Spiny
Cute Succulent Names Based on Colour or Stress Colouring
Names for Green Succulents
- Jade (could be funny for jade plant, very literal; or ironic for a non-Jade succulent)
Names for Purple Succulents
Names for Blue Succulents
Names for Orange or Red Succulents
Names for Brown, Yellow, or Gold Succulents
Your Thoughts on Succulent Names?
What do you think are some of the best succulent names? Which methods of naming (by colour, by alliteration, etc.) do you think are cutest or the most funny? Can you think of more I haven’t thought up?
Have you ever named a succulent? Which type was it and what name did you end up giving it?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments below!